Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Aftermath

One week after Thomas went to heaven, my husband and I were sitting on the couch watching TV, just trying to get our mind off of our personal hell we had just endured. This might be a little graphic for some, but I want to be honest with my story. I began bleeding VERY heavily. As a nurse, I knew something wasn't right. After 1 full hour of bleeding nonstop, we called our OB at midnight. She told us to go to the ER immediately and she would meet us there. Unfortunately, after we got there, we quickly learned that my cervix had ripped a great deal. I was emergently rushed to the OR. I remember my doctor telling me, "Once we get in there, and if I see the bleeding is extensive, I will have to remove your uterus. I promise I will do everything I can not to, but if it saves your life, I don't have a choice." We were terrified. I remember thinking to God, "I am going to literally lose my mind, if you take away my chance of ever having more children." Luckily, she repaired my cervix with no problems. Still to this day, we don't know why it took a week for me to start hemorrhaging. I now have the risk of having an incompetent cervix, which means a higher risk of future miscarriage and stillbirth, again. But we are so thankful that we still have the opportunity to give Thomas future brothers and/or sisters :)

No comments:

Post a Comment